Friday, November 28, 2014
Thursday, November 27, 2014
On Thanksgiving 1965, Arlo Guthrie visited friend Alice Brock and her husband at their home, a church in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, and did them a favor by taking out their garbage. The dump was closed that day, so Guthrie and a friend dropped the garbage off a cliff where other locals had previously dropped trash. Guthrie was arrested the following day, and the mark on his record miraculously kept him out of Vietnam by making him ineligible for the draft.
Guthrie recalled the incident in hilarious detail in 1967's "Alice's Restaurant," which became his most beloved song and the subject of a 1969 movie. (The Old Trinity Church, where Alice lived, is now the Guthrie Center). It's also become a Thanksgiving tradition, played nationwide on public radio every year.
To continue reading this post, which 1st appeared in Rolling Stone, click here.
Wednesday, November 26, 2014
With Thanksgiving only 1 day away, here is a playlist of 20 songs dealing with pilgrims and Indians.
Click here for your Thanksgiving playlist.
Tuesday, November 25, 2014
On Nov. 25, 1984, dozens of the biggest U.K. musicians - past and present - gathered in Trevor Horn's London studio under the moniker Band Aid to record the now-classic holiday song "Do They Know It's Christmas?"
Learn about that recording in a post that 1st appeared in Ultimate Classic Rock, by clicking here.
Saturday, November 22, 2014
The call came to Memphis Fire Station No. 29 at 2:33 p.m. on Tuesday, August 16, 1977. The dispatcher indicated that someone at 3754 Elvis Presley Boulevard was having difficulty breathing. “Go to the front gate and go to the front of the mansion,” the voice directed.
Ambulance Unit No. 6 swung out of the station onto Elvis Presley Boulevard and headed south, siren wailing, advertising a speed that the ponderous machine had not yet achieved.
To continue reading his post, which 1st appeared in Salon, click here.
Friday, November 21, 2014
- The KInks: Will They Reunite at 50?
- Getting Anything You Want from Alice's Restaurant ...
- A Thanksgiving Playlist of Songs About Pilgrims, I...
- It Was 30 Years Ago Today - Do They Know It's Chri...
- The Presley Coverup: What America Didn't Hear Abou...
- Soul Singing Mavis Staples Saluted in Chicago
- The Straits Carry On Legacy of Dire Straits
- My Morning Jacket Covers Woody Guthrie Classic
- 10 All-Time Classic Albums That Will Be Turning 50...
- Paul Simon Recalls the Moment He Traded Rock for F...
- Dylan Wanted to Make an Album with Beatles, Stones...
- Dolly Parton Supports Her Gay Fans
- Massive McCartney Tribute CD Due Out This Month
- John Fogerty Addresses 'Fortunate Son' Controversy...
- LA Woman and the Last Days of Jim Morrison
- 45 Years Ago, the Grateful Dead Release Classic Li...
- The Killer at Peace: The Golden Years of Jerry Lee...
- New Book Looks at Janis Joplin's Kozmic Blues
- Foo Fighters Cruise Sonic Highway to DC
- Flaming Lips Leader's Guide to the Beatles
- Who's in Power Pop Heroes
- 45 Years Ago The Allman Brothers Hit the Airwaves
- Jam Bands Offer Cover Classics for Halloween
- Bruce Springsteen's Greatest Tricks and Treats
- ▼ November (24)