Welcome to Rock of Agers

Welcome to Rock of Agers

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Name That Band - The Association


The band "associated" with such mid-60s hits as "Cherish," "Windy," and "Along Comes Mary," almost had another A-name.

According to band lore, someone suggested that the group call itself The Aristocrats.

When the then-wife of singer/songwriter Terry Kirkman went to look up that name for them in the dictionary, she came across another name she thought would be better. The band agreed and The Association it became.

Despite the band's clean image, some still contend that their hit "Along Comes Mary" is one of the first songs about marijuana ("Puff the Magic Dragon" being another) to get widespread play on AM radio.

Claiming Mary was code for marijuana, the drug-theme pushers base their contention on lines such as this:

Every time I think that I'm the only one who's lonely
Someone calls on me
And every now and then I spend my time in rhyme and verse
And curse those faults in me
And then along comes Mary
And does she want to give me kicks and be my steady chick
And give me pick of memories
Or maybe rather gather tales of all the fails and tribulations
No one ever sees
When we met I was sure out to lunch
Now my empty cup tastes sweet as the punch
So what do you think? 
Love song or pot song?

No comments:

Post a Comment