Welcome to Rock of Agers

Welcome to Rock of Agers

Monday, October 24, 2016

The Roots of Rock: Bobby Vee, Singer Who Gave Dylan His Rock Start, Dead at 73


As best as I can recall, I began to seriously listen to AM rock music on the radio in 1962, when I was 10 years old.

A young Bobby Vee
One of my 1st favorites was "The Night Has a Thousand Eyes" by rising pop star Bobby Vee. I'm not really sure why I liked the song so much, but I think it had something to do with the image of the night actually having a 1,000 eyes.

Well, Bobby Vee died today at age 73. Here are 4 facts I never knew about Vee:
  1. If it hadn't been for the airplane crash that killed Buddy Holly there might never have been a star known as Bobby Vee.
  2. Bobby Vee's band was asked to fill in some dates for Holly, where he was discovered.
  3. You might know Vee's 1st piano player - it was a gentleman known then as Bobby Zimmerman and today as Bob Dylan
  4. In a 2013 show, Dylan played one of Vee's songs "Suzie Baby" and said Vee was  "the most meaningful person I've ever been on stage with.

No comments:

Post a Comment