Welcome to Rock of Agers

Welcome to Rock of Agers

Monday, November 14, 2016

Eric Burdon 50 Years Later

Eric Burdon and the original Animals
Eric Burdon still performing today

2016 definitely hasn't been kind to classic rock and its fans.

We have seen the deaths of several great artists from the classic rock era including David Bowie, Glen Frey, Paul Kantner, and Keith Emerson. Just in the last few days we've witnessed that list grow with the deaths of Leonard Cohen and Leon Russell.

Of course, we will always have the music these artists produced and the memories they gave us, both on our old stereos and live in concert.

And I think the deaths of so many well-known producers of the musical sound for us Baby Boomers has given a renewed appreciation of those artists such as Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, the Stones, Pete Townsend and Roger Daltrey , Neil Young, and Rogers Waters who are still playing like they all did at the costly, yet hugely successful 2-week Desert Trip festival last night.

I say all this to explain why I am so excited to see Eric Burdon tonight at the City Winery here in Atlanta and hear many of my favorite Animals songs from the 60s and 70s performed by his new band.

From 1964 to 1969, Eric Burdon and the original Animals, who like the Beatles, the Stones, the Kinks, and the Yardbirds were all part of the British Invasion of the mid 60s, were my favorite group.
By 1970, the Animals were no more and the Rolling Stones moved into my top slot, a position they held until about 2000 when Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band replaced them.

But even though the Animals disbanded, decades ago,  Burdon has continued to make music, first as the singer for the band War, then as a solo artist and finally as a leader of several different bands playing the Animals top songs and other blues-type tunes.

I first saw the Animals live in 1966 at the historic Steel Pier in Atlantic City, New Jersey. They had just released 2 of my all-time favorite Animal tracks - "Don't Bring Me Down" and their cover version of "See See Rider."

Now I had seen a few other bands including the Who earlier and I have seen hundreds of bands since, but this was the 1st time I watched a band that I secularly worshipped.  It's a memory of a special day that remains deeply embedded in me.

So to Eric Burdon, and all of those early rockers we have lost and all of those who are still here, a profound thanks for your music and the accompanying memories.

And a special not to Mr. Burdon: If you hear a 64-year-old Animals fan scream out "Don't Bring Me Down" and "See See Rider " in a few hours, please play those great songs. After all, you don't often get the chance to remove 50 years from your life and live again with all the pleasure of a 14-year-old hearing his favorite band live in concert for the very first time.

Encore - My Top 10 Animals Tracks Listed Chronologically
  1. "House of the Rising Sun"
  2. "I'm Crying:
  3. "Boom Boom"
  4. "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood"
  5. "Bring It On Home"
  6. "We Got to Get Out of This Place"
  7. "It's My Life"
  8. "Inside Looking Out"
  9. "Don't Bring Me Down"
  10. "See See Rider"

No comments:

Post a Comment