Welcome to Rock of Agers

Welcome to Rock of Agers

Thursday, January 26, 2017

A Year-Plus Review of Atlanta Music Concerts

The historic Fox Theatre in Midtown Atlanta
The Tabernacle: A great concert venue in Atlanta

The Last Waltz concert in 1976 was the legendary last performance of the Band. The re-creation of that concert I saw 2 nights ago marked the last live show I will see in Atlanta before my wife and move back to Washington, DC in 2 weeks.

In the 14 months we lived in Atlanta to spend time with our grandchildren, I got to see 15 shows. Here is the list:
  1. Widespread Panic @The Fox Theatre
  2. A Night with Janis Joplin @The Fox
  3. Chris Stapleton @Braves Field
  4. Tom Petty w/Mudcrutch @The Tabernacle
  5. Windborne Music Presents the Music of David Bowie w/The Atlanta Symphony @Symphony Hall
  6. Dolly Parton @Infinity Energy Center
  7. Cyndi Lauper @Symphony Hall
  8. Alice Cooper @Symphony Hall
  9. Phish @Chastain Park
  10. Blackberry Smoke (Laid Back Festival) @Lakewood Amphitheater
  11. ZZ Top (Laid Back Festival) @Lakewood Amphitheater
  12. The Greg Allman Band (Laid Back Festival) @Lakewood Amphitheater 
  13. Eric Burdon and the Animals @City Winery
  14. Don Henley @The Fox
  15. The 40th Aniversary of the Last Waltz Concert @Symphony Hall
My wife Judy attended some of the shows with me. I went to the rest by myself. All the shows were good to fabulous, but obviously both Judy and me had our favorites.

Here are the 3 shows Judy enjoyed most:
  1. A Night with Janis
  2. Don Henley
  3. Cyndi Lauper
Here are my top 3:
  1. The 40th Anniversary of the Last Waltz Concert
  2. Eric Burdon and the Animals
  3. Alice Cooper
So that's it for now for live music in Atlanta. But the shows will resume in DC. Here are the concerts I'm planning to attend during of first months there:
  • Voodoo Dead
  • Tedeschi Trucks Band
  • The Flower Power Cruise (15 bands from the late 60s and early 70s at sea)
  • Dan Baird and Homemade Sin
  • Ann Wilson of Heart
  • Dana Fuchs
  • Willie Nile
If any of you are in the DC area when these shows are scheduled, come on and join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment